Welcome to my blog. I am not a very regular blogger, but I try to keep this site updated with news and information. If there's none of the above I may just share my random ruminations.

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Snow!

I woke up the other morning and couldn't get back to sleep.  Realising it had snowed in the night I got up and came downstairs to get my camera.

7 a.m. in a Gloucestershire garden




Black bird on the scavenge. 


It continued to snow heavily through the day, but by the next day the sun had come out and a thaw was in progress. First thing in the morning the virgin snow was networked with animal prints. 

Who's been strolling around in our garden as if he owns the joint?
 We suspect this miscreant was the culprit - s/he was caught red-handed just a week earlier.



With a suspect firmly in our sights for the majority of prints, we were baffled by these markings, which almost looked like the patterns on shoe soles, or car tyres, but the shallowness of the imprints, and the swirly snaking shapes were mystifying.

 

Thank goodness for social media.  A friend, Kit Domino, came up with a credible answer.  She suggested it was an owl swooping low to snatch up its prey.  I feel sorry for the innocent mouse or shrew, but I am very pleased to have an explanation and also pleased that the owl (or even, possibly, an early morning  buzzard) managed to find a meal.

No comments: